Southwest High School and elementary school opened their doors near Ludlow in August of 1959. Prior to the new
building being constructed the old Mooresville School was being called Southwest High School of Mooresville, and the old Ludlow School that was located in Ludlow had been closed since 1951.
The new school was headed by superintendent Lloyd
Fine with Daniel Redmond serving as secondary principal and coach.
were Hadley Price, Leland Hamblin, Charles Morse, Claude Bosler, Bill Stamper and John Busby. Herbert Walz was the non-voting Secretary of the Board.
Barbara Cox was the school secretary, and Herbert Walz was the school custodian.
Secondary teachers included Mrs. Florence McDonnal, Mrs. Louise Hatchett, Mrs. Opal Mantzy, Mrs. Mabel Fine,
Mr. Alva Labar, and Paul Zachary.
The elementary teachers were Mrs. Genevieve Flenniken, Miss Georgia Dinkel, Mrs. Earlene Bosler, Mrs. Helen Hughes,
Mrs. Ethel Grimes, Mrs. Grace Skinner, Mrs. Margaret Bonderer, and
The cooks were Mrs. Florence Mosher, Mrs. Lee Robinson and Mrs. Viola Holder. Bus drivers were Charles Treon, Clifford Hightower, Hugh Pat Anderson, Amos Anderson, Vern Williams, Robert Trosper and Herbert
The first year saw seven students receive special recognition in the spring for their achievements in academics. They were Helen Louise Littleton, Karen Sue Hobbs, Carolyn Burson, Karen Sue Hobbs, Kent Bryan, Rita Robinson, and Janice
The Origins of
The word Ludlow originated as early as 1138 when the name appeared in
records for a settlement
in England that was originally spelled Lodelowe and pronounced hlud
hlaw. At this time, the Teme River contained rapids and so the hlud of
Ludlow came from the "loud waters," while low (hlaw) meant
"hill." Thus, Ludlow meant a place on a hill by a loud river. A
massive castle was begun around this time and stands today as a tourist
attraction. For more on the history of Ludlow, England, click